The regular monthly meeting of the Town of Tompkins Town Board was called to order at 6:52 pm in the Town meeting room, Trout Creek, NY.
- William Layton – Supervisor
- Howard Buttel – Councilperson
- Tim LaTourette – Councilperson
- Peggy Backus – Councilperson
- Carl Stuendel – Councilperson
- Ronald VanValkenburg – Hwy Superintendent
- Michelle Phoenix – Town Clerk
- Nancy Roberts – Bookkeeper to the supervisor
- Willy & Ann Wood – Town residents
- Joe Reynolds – Building Inspector
- Luther Higley – Town of Tompkins Fire Dist Commissioner
- James Baker – Town of Tompkins Fire Dist Commissioner
- Wendy Layton – Assessor
Pledge to the flag was led by Tim LaTourette.
Guest Speakers: [See Below ‑‑ Item 8 of the Highway Superintendent’s Report]
On motion by Layton, seconded by Stuendel, it was moved to approve the minutes of the Board meeting held on December 10, 2012.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion Carried.
Monthly Financial Reports:
Town Clerk’s Report:
On motion by Backus, seconded by Buttel, it was moved to receive, approve and place on file the Town Clerk’s monthly report for December 2012.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion carried.
The Town’s 2012 yearly financial report was presented by Nancy Roberts and reviewed by the board during the Annual Audit of books and was accepted as the Towns Monthly report.
On motion by Backus, seconded by LaTourette, it was moved to receive, approve and place on file the Supervisor’s 2012 Annual Financial Report as the monthly report.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion carried.
Planning Board – None.
Assessor – Wendy Presented and reviewed her monthly financial report with the board.
Building Inspector – Joe presented the board with a new Building Permit Fee Schedule.
Upon review from the board
On motion by Stuendel, Seconded by Buttel, to accept the fee schedule with the following changes.
Change line #3 to $175.00
On commercial Construction:
Change line #1 to $250.00
Remove line #2
Change line #3 to $100.00
Accept all other figures without change.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion carried
Tax Collector – Michelle provided the board with a tax collection report for the board to review.
Report – Highway Superintendent
- Questioned if the board had heard anything about the permit for the gravel bank. Bill stated he has heard nothing new but will look into.
- Plowing contracts will run out on August 31, 2013, Ron stated that need to be reviewed before signing new Contracts when they come.
- The pipe on Mormon Hollow by the Kehr residence needs to be changed. Ron stated that 40ft galvanized squash pipe costs about $6,700 and 30ft galvanized squash pipe costs about $5,200. Ron stated these are not exact prices. The Board suggested that Ron get prices and bring back to next meeting.
- Plowed and sanded when we had snow.
- Cutting brush
- 2006 went to Milton cat to have the ECM board replaced.
- They have plowed 24 times this season that is up from 14 times last season.
- Ron Discussed how he would like to have the Fire District get their own tanks for fuel. After much discussion between the board and Commissioners Higley and Baker. It was decided at this time things with the FD getting fuel will stay the same but the Commissioners will find all keys that FD members may have in their possession and return them. Also when FD needs fuel in an emergency and Kyle McLaughlin is on the FD Call he will assist in filling the trucks. There will also need to be two signatures on the fuel sheets, one from the FD member getting the fuel and one from the Town employee. The Board also advised the commissioners to look into getting fuel and tanks for year 2014 and add it to their budget.
- Ron provided the board a write up in the paper from another Delaware County town about Friendly Winter Reminders. – Carl will put the Town of Tompkins Winter Friendly Reminder on the website.
Report – Dog Control Officer – None
- Received a letter from Bob Beebe stating that the City is in the process of approving his template. If for any reason this negotiation fails, the Town of Tompkins will want to make use of the TLAP program admistered by CWC. The Town asked CWC for a one month extension on the enrollment deadline. CWC and NYC granted this extension.
- The Town Sign was installed and it was discovered that the installer had hit the telephone wire and the sign needed to be removed and phone line fixed. The sign is now back in and if there is going to be a cost for the damaged phone line it will go to the installer of the sign. Nothing has been heard about the installation about the other sign for the other end of town.
- NYMER Inspector has been here and most went well though there are some minor issues to be addressed. NYMER will send a report on issues to address.
- Received a letter from the Delaware County Election board about the possibility of closing Kelsey’s Polling place. Carl stated he will address this with Paul Bartholomew.
- Bill discussed with Ron on if Ron had taken any consideration on doing something with the dust issue on Chamberlin Brook. After much discussion nothing was resolved.
- Bill called the Association of Towns about the FEMA event Administration fees. After much discussion between board members, they now have a better understanding how to use a portion of the awarded Administration fees to compensate town employees who do the administrative work for a FEMA event. The board realizes they may have done things incorrectly (or at least could have done a better job of making things transparent) with regard to the payment of town employees who did the administrative work for several prior FEMA events. In the future if there is a FEMA event the board will discuss a rate of pay for administration fees for Ron and Nancy who have been appointed as the town’s FEMA Administrators for the year 2013.
Correspondence: – None
Amended Sub Division Regulations
On motion by Stuendel, seconded by LaTourette it was resolved that the Board of the Town of Tompkins hereby determines that the proposed Local Law No. 1 of 2013 is hereby adopted as local law entitled “Amended Town of Tompkins Land Subdivision Regulations”, and be it further Resolved that the Town Clerk is hereby directed to take such actions as are necessary to implement this resolution and effect adoption of the Local Law.
Vote: All AYES
Michelle provided the board with copies of TC CWMP and Storm Water Retrofit Program, December 2012 and January 2013, monthly progress meeting minutes for review.
Abstract of Claims
On motion by Backus, seconded by Layton, it was moved to approve the Abstract of Claims for
December 2012 as follows:
General Fund: $54,512.49
Highway Fund: $15,428.87
January 2013 as follows:
General Fund: 25,419.93
Highway Fund: 7,246.33
Vote: All AYEs – Motion carried.
Reading back of the minutes:
On motion by LaTourette, seconded by Buttel, it was moved to accept the minutes as read back.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion Carried
Meeting Adjourned at 9:30pm
The meeting for February 11, 2013 will be held at the Town Meeting Room, at 7:00pm Trout Creek, NY
Date: January 14, 2012
Town of Tompkins