The regular monthly meeting of the Town of Tompkins Town Board was called to order at 7:00 pm in the Town meeting room, Trout Creek, NY. With Peggy Backus leading in the Flag salute.
- William Layton – Supervisor
- Howard Buttel – Councilperson
- Peggy Backus – Councilperson
- Brian Albanese – Councilperson
- Tim LaTourette – Absent
- Nancy Roberts – Bookkeeper
- Carol Zandt – Deputy Clerk
- Dave Stanton – Property Owner
- Junie Stanton – Observer
Opening of 2014 Lawn Mowing bids
Received bids for Dan Gehl, All Season, Keven Stanton, George Stanton – Helmes and Adam Stanton
On motion by Buttel, seconded by Backus it was moved to accept the bid received from Dan Gehl.
Vote: All AYES – Motion Carried
Guest Speakers: Dave Stanton – Dave stated he purchased land on the corner of Abe Boice Road and State Highway 206 and the corner of the lots is always wet due to water running into it. Dave asked if there would be a problem with him taking out a tree and extending the existing ditch to extend to State Highway 206 so that the water does not always accumulate in the corner of the lot. The Board and Superintendent VanValkenburg stated it was not a problem for Dave to do this.
On motion by Buttel, seconded by Albanese, it was moved to approve the minutes of the regular board meeting held on March 10, 2014.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion Carried.
Monthly Financial Reports:
Town Clerk / Tax Collector Report –
On motion by Buttel, seconded by Backus, it was moved to receive, approve and place on file the Town Clerk/Tax Collector monthly report for March 2014.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion carried.
Supervisor’s Report –
Supervisor’s monthly report was reviews with the Board by Nancy Roberts/Bookkeeper to the Supervisor. On motion by Albanese, seconded by Backus, it was moved to approve and place on file the financial report, dated March 31, 2014.
Vote: All AYEs – Motion carried.
Planning Board – None
Assessor – April’s Monthly report was provided for board to review.
Highway Superintendent –
- Chips increase of $19171.07 with a total of 185,278.07
- County and city plowing – 72 times in 2014 & 43 times in 2013
- Backhoe thumb has been put on Dana also did cylinders, hose and new metal.
- Johns 2006 is at paint shop
- The plastic pipes last longer than the galvanized – 90% are plastic and most has been paid for through FEMA.
- Roads are broke up from winter.
- Suit – Kote will be coming out to ride with Ron to inspect roads.
- Road crew went to safety class last Tuesday.
- Ron requested replacing the 2005 1 Ton. Nancy provided Ron and the board with a chart for replacement of Town highway equipment. After much discussion the Board agreed to go by the chart and replace the vehicles as they are shown on chart.
- Working on equipment
- Hauling grit and gravel
- Ron presented the board for the Agreement for Expenditure of Highway moneys for 2014 from the County. General repairs amount of $200,000.00 and permanent Improvements of Windfall Road, 1.2 mile, pug mill width of 18ft with 2in thickness of stone and oil on top of gravel in the amount of $90,264.22. Dry Brook Road– 1.5 mile, pug mill with a width of 18ft and thickness of 2in of stone and oil on top of gravel in the amount of $101,264.22. All agreed upon and signed by Board in attendance. Albanese brought up getting another contractors quote for the road work to see how competitive Suit-Kote’s price is, Howie agreed it was a good idea. Ron was going to contact another company in the Vestal area.
- Ron will talk to Suit – Kote on resealing other end of Windfall and Dry brook.
- Rock Rift Road abandoning – Ron will talk to John Reynolds about how to get started with this process. In mean time he will continue to maintain the good section of the road.
Dog Control Officer –
- Discussion on the process of sending out summons. Court states it is not legal to do it this way.
- Discussion took place on adding a late fee for license renewals.
- Bill will discuss with the Judge and Court Clerk about repeat offenders.
- Backus will contact Valley Vet in regards to having a vet on standby in case of the DCO picking up injured dog.
- 3 Complaints – 2 Dogs taken to shelter.
- Bill stated that there were four cars at the highway garage after hours and noticed that inside, widows of a private vehicle were being detailed. – Ron stated he gave those people permission to use building and that Sam was with there.
- On motion by Backus, Seconded by Buttel to have Nancy Roberts do the manual / template for the NYC Stipulation at a rate of $25.00 an hour. Vote: All AYEs, Motion Carried. Nancy stated she had found holes in the current stipulation. Kevin Young’s stated we have the right to request a fee from other Towns want copies of the manual.
- It was agreed upon by the board that the Fire District will need to get their own fuel tanks in 2015. Layton will contact Luther Higley and advice him of this.
- The sewer district storage building behind the store needs repair, siding is falling off, the door will not close from the cement on the floor heaving. Bill reviewed the email that was sent from Chris Yacobucci on options for repair the board had decided to go with option 2. On motion by Buttel, seconded by Albanese, it was moved to Revise the entrance door so that the door opens outward. Remove the concrete slab and approximately 2 feet of fill below the slab. Install rigid board insulation along the foundation wall interior perimeter. Install approximately 2 feet of #2 stone. Install rigid board insulation to cover the stone. Pour a new concrete slab over the rigid board insulation. The stone should allow water to drain easier and the insulation should lessen the effect of freeze thaw. Note however, there is no guarantee that the floor won’t heave. Vote: All AYEs – Motion Carried
- On motion by Layton seconded by Buttel, that in furtherance of the above goal, the Town of Tompkins Town Board hereby declares its support for awarding a casino license to destination resort in Broome County – Vote: All AYEs – Motion Carried – (See resolution 7-2014)
- Approval of 2 more camper registrations for 4-H camp.
- Received 1 Invoice for Sewer District – will be paid out of sewer district account.
Abstract of Claims:
On motion by Backus, seconded by Layton, it was moved to approve the Abstract of Claims for April 14, 2014 as follows:
General Fund: $7780.67
Highway Fund: $93,443.36
Vote: All AYEs – Motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 9:20PM
Next Meeting to be held on May 12, 2014
Date: April 14, 2014
Town of Tompkins
Deputy Town Clerk